Photobucket

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Ceramic Books

I had this idea YEARS ago and then not long after this idea I saw another potter doing something similar so I gave up on it. Then I decided to give it another go. Not only is this a handmade ceramic book but I also handmade the paper in it as well. I recycled all my stupid junk mail and threw in a few organic materials and voila!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I made a whole bunch of ceramic covers for more books, I even made some crystalline book covers but I found that handmaking the paper is a total pain in my tush so if I make future books I will buy handmade paper from other artists.
These take forever and a day to assemble as I hand stitched all the pages into the binding. Of course I did a ton of research on book making and binding before I set out on this surprisingly monumental task.
I am still on the fence wether I will continue along this line. I guess it depends if anyone else shows an interest in them or not. I don't see them being very profitable for me.
Anyhow, I listed this one in my Etsy shop today.

2 comments:

Marilee Rockley said...

Love the "look" here, all the color, shapes, on the black...great photos. Maybe I'll change over the template of my "other" fiber blog to something similar. Hand made books, too, wow!

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Very cool! Imagine a ceramic book filled with tatting patterns!